It can be very difficult to advocate effectively for a child you love who has special needs.
Special education laws can be complicated, and navigating through such an emotionally charged course of events can be very hard. At times, school experts, teachers and administrators can be difficult and appear uncaring. Remaining calm and objective may be nearly impossible for families of children with special needs.
Gillett Green, LLP is equipped to provide you and your family with the best representation and advocacy.
This is our philosophy: You make the decisions that impact your child, including what resources you want your child to receive. Then you and your attorney together decide on the best strategy to persuade the school district to provide the services necessary for your child to access his or her education.
Special Education Services
- Special education planning, advocacy and consultation
- Guidance in the evaluation and assessment process
- Preparation for IEP meetings
- Support in identifying appropriate placement/services
- Private school placements
- Impartial Hearings/Settlements
- Inclusion and mainstreaming
- Classroom supports and accommodations
- Supplemental/After-school services
- Compensatory education
- Home and community-based programs
- Residential Placements and programming
- Transition planning
- Tate and federal appeals
- Families in the process of relocating
As your attorneys, we represent your child’s interests. Our job is to ensure that your child receives all of the support and services that he or she needs to benefit from his or her education.
- We attend all IEP team meetings with you because you have an absolute right under the California Education Code to be represented by counsel at your child’s IEP meetings. You also have the right to record IEP meetings.
- We negotiate with the school district and handle all of your child’s IEP paperwork and written communications.
- We correspond with school officials, request and schedule meetings and assessments, school records, incident reports and other matters related to your child’s special education needs.
- Should the need arise to request a due process hearing to litigate claims against the district, we can do that, too.
- We can represent you and your child at any resolution session, mediation session, or appeal to higher court, if necessary.
What Is IDEA?
In 2017, the United States Supreme Court mandated that all children eligible under IDEA shall receive an education that is “appropriately ambitious,” an education plan that includes “challenging objectives.” (Endrew F. v. Douglas County Sch. Dist. RE-1, (2017) ___ U.S. ___, ___)
No longer will a child with special needs be given an education that is “merely de minimis.”(Id.) No longer will the educational standards be arbitrarily lowered for a child with special needs.
When we negotiate for special education services or special needs on behalf of your child, we have two goals: to get quality services and to maintain healthy working relationships with school personnel.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (“IDEA”) provides that an eligible child shall receive all of the services he or she needs to benefit from his or her education. Examples of these services include:
- speech therapy
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- behavioral specialists
- educational and mental health counseling
- assistive technology
- classroom and non-classroom accommodations
- curriculum modifications.
What amazing things can your child accomplish if she receives the services that she needs to access her education?
We provide services throughout the Central Valley and Central Coast of California. Gillett Green has offices in San Luis Obispo and Visalia, allowing us to serve SLO, Tulare, Fresno, Kings, Kern counties and neighboring communities.
School Districts We Work With:
- Burton Unified School Dristict
- Clovis Unified School District
- Fresno Unified School District
- Lucia Mar Unified School District
- Orcutt Union School District
- Porterville Unified School District
- Santa Barbara County Office of Education
- San Luis Costal Unified School District
- Tulare High School District
- Visalia Unified School District
We encourage you to call our office to schedule a consultation to discuss your child’s special education needs. Gillett Green charges a consultation fee of $100 for the initial consultation.
Consultations usually last approximately one (1) hour.